How to Take KOMBIGLYZE XR
If your doctor decides that KOMBIGLYZE XR is right for you, remember to take it exactly as prescribed.
KOMBIGLYZE XR should generally be taken once a day with the evening meal to help lessen an upset stomach side effect. Swallow tablets whole—don’t crush, cut, or chew them, and don’t change your dose without talking to your doctor.
Your doctor should do blood tests to check how well your kidneys are working before and during your treatment with KOMBIGLYZE XR.
If you take KOMBIGLYZE XR with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as sulfonylureas or insulin, you have a higher risk of having low blood sugar. Symptoms of low blood sugar include shaking, sweating, rapid heartbeat, change in vision, hunger, headache, and change in mood. Follow your doctor's instructions for treating low blood sugar.
You may sometimes pass the inactive ingredients of KOMBIGLYZE XR as a soft mass in your bowel movements, which may look like the original tablet. This is not unusual.
Stay on your prescribed diet and exercise program while taking KOMBIGLYZE XR.
Important tips for taking KOMBIGLYZE XR
If you miss a dose of KOMBIGLYZE XR:
- Take your next dose as prescribed, unless your doctor tells you differently
- Do not take an extra dose the next day
If you take too much KOMBIGLYZE XR:
- Call your doctor, local Poison Control Center, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away
When taking KOMBIGLYZE XR, be sure to contact your doctor right away if you have a fever, trauma (such as a car accident), infection, or surgery, as this may change your medication needs.
What should I tell my doctor before taking KOMBIGLYZE XR?
Before you start KOMBIGLYZE XR, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have ever had inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), gallstones, history of alcoholism, or high triglyceride levels. It is not known if having these medical problems will make you more likely to get pancreatitis with KOMBIGLYZE XR
- Have had a serious allergic (hypersensitivity) reaction to KOMBIGLYZE XR or any other similar medications that are used to control high blood sugar
- Are allergic to metformin hydrochloride or any of the ingredients in KOMBIGLYZE XR
- Have type 1 diabetes. KOMBIGLYZE XR should not be used to treat people with type 1 diabetes
- Have a history or risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (increased ketones in the blood or urine). KOMBIGLYZE XR should not be used for the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis
- Have kidney problems
- Have liver problems
- Have heart problems, including congestive heart failure
- Are older than 80 years. If you are over 80 years old you should not take KOMBIGLYZE XR unless your kidneys have been checked and they are normal
- Drink alcohol very often, or drink a lot of alcohol in short-term "binge" drinking
- Are going to get an injection of dye or contrast agents for an x-ray procedure or if you are going to have surgery and will not be able to eat or drink much. In these situations, KOMBIGLYZE XR will need to be stopped for a short time. Talk to your doctor about when you should stop KOMBIGLYZE XR and when you should start KOMBIGLYZE XR again
- Have any other medical conditions
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if KOMBIGLYZE XR will harm your unborn baby. If you are pregnant, talk with your doctor about the best way to control your blood sugar while you are pregnant
- Are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed. It is not known if KOMBIGLYZE XR passes into your breast milk. Talk with your doctor about the best way to feed your baby while you take KOMBIGLYZE XR
Who should not take KOMBIGLYZE XR?
Do not take KOMBIGLYZE XR if you:
- Have kidney problems
- Are allergic to metformin hydrochloride, saxagliptin, or any of the ingredients in KOMBIGLYZE XR (saxagliptin and metformin HCI extended-release). See the Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in KOMBIGLYZE XR
If you have these symptoms, stop taking KOMBIGLYZE XR and contact your doctor right away.
- Have a condition called metabolic acidosis or diabetic ketoacidosis (increased ketones in the blood or urine)
How should I store KOMBIGLYZE XR?
Store KOMBIGLYZE XR between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C).
Keep KOMBIGLYZE XR and all medicines out of the reach of children.